Monday, January 14, 2019

My Most Embarrassing Moment

Back in 2016, I was in a bind. I had been poor my entire life, every single day, and I wanted out. I wanted out so badly that I was willing to do anything. At the time I had just finished a book on programming by Steve Heller. It was a C++ book.

Suddenly I got an idea in mind. I saw all of these people making big money on Kickstarter. I wanted to be one of them. Some of these companies made billions, billions. I wanted to win like that. But I didn't know how.

I had this idea from reading the C++ book, and without researching its efficacy I hastily created a plan to build my first Kickstarter. If my past was any indication, the Kickstarter would simply be ignored and I'd stay poor.

But something happened that I would never forget. Over 7,000 people viewed the Kickstarter in a little over a week. At that point I realized that I was totally unprepared for success. Many people emailed me who completely understood my thought process and what I was trying to do. But for the most part I was lambasted.

And deservedly so. The thing that stood out most to me was the fact that if I had done the slightest bit of research on my idea, I would have realized that my idea was already patented and already existed. It's existed for decades, but I didn't know.

My one chance at fame and I lost it all, before I started. It was because of my thinking. I'll never have that kind of audience again, but I do know that knowing what you're talking about is worth a lot more than fame. In this world, people who know nothing get featured on the big screen, their name in lights, proving that you don't have to know everything to be popular.

But everything that happened to me was my fault. I'm a black man. I know better. And now I will have to pay the price. I will never have that kind of spark again, but I will know what I'm talking about before I speak.

JohnJenkins2315@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment